Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Stalling

While I'm stalling on attaching my Dear Jane borders, I have been quilting a kit that has been on my UFO list for ages. (Aren't they all) This is a kit I bought from Judie Rothermel back when she was a vendor at the Rotary in Paducah, KY. The kit suggests quilting the background before appliqueing the leaves and yo-yo flowers. At first I wasn't going to do that, so I stitched the vase. Then I changed my mind and quilted the background. I have the yo-yos made and the leaves are ready for applique.
quilted background with vase
kit picture and applique pieces
The neighbors are beginning their holiday fireworks as darkness nears. They've been practicing for the last three nights. Bay City has their big display tonight and it is always a terrific show. We didn't go this year as the Tigers are playing. The skies will be lit up again tomorrow as Saginaw does their annual show. So far the weather is cooperating, too.
I hope everyone has a wonderful 4th of July whatever you chose to do.

11 comments:

Granny said...

How long ago was it that she was at the Rotary Club? It was in 2006 that I noticed she wasn't there any more but someone said she'd been gone for a while. Does she have a booth somewhere else in Paducah during the show?

Darlene said...

Your project is adorable. Love that you add your applique on the quilted background. Very pretty!

Libby said...

Judy Rothermeil comes to a show near me . . . always enjoy looking at the fun things in her booth. Enjoy your 4th!

Unknown said...

I remember her from the time I went to Paducah! I bought bags of her fat quarter bunches. I still have some! Your hand quilting is beautiful! Very interesting to do the quilting first. I can see where that would be a good idea on such a small piece. Happy 4th from rain soaked Texas! Enjoy the fireworks, I think ours are too wet to launch.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

I think it's a good idea to quilt before adding the yo-yos. They will stand out from the background.
Roz

Mary Johnson said...

I also think quilting it first will be easier in the end. Love the yo-yo's. I bought the clover large yo-yo maker but haven't made any yet. I've never used them in a project myself but helped my sisters make a ton of them for wallhangings they were making.

Susan said...

That's going to be beautiful. I look forward to seeing the finished piece.

We must be sharing neighbors! I have no doubt there will be at least another couple of nights of the firecrackers, too. =)

I loved fall and winter up in your area - never tried a summer visit to Clare!

swooze said...

It looks good so far! Interesting idea to quilt first. It will give the vase a floating effect.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Thanks for your nice comment. Roz

Kari said...

Looks great!!! I can't wait to see it when it is finished. Hope your 4th was great!

Sarah Nopp said...

The quilting looks very nice. I will be curious to hear how you feel about adding the appliques on top after it is complete.