Saturday, November 29, 2008

Stuffed Like a Turkey

Items received from the Polka Dot and Rick Rack Swap mentioned in the text













Here it is two days after Thanksgiving and I still feel like a stuffed turkey! We won't even discuss the physical comparison. Jim, JJ and I enjoyed a wonderful turkey dinner with all the trimmings at Mike and Simone's house. They were kind enough to send home leftovers for yesterday, too. The food is now gone, JJ is back home and I am on chapter 30 of "Breaking Dawn", the fourth book in the Twilight series. It is so difficult to put it down. I keep saying, "I'll just finish this chapter"...

Just before we left for the Retreat, my package arrived from the Polka Dot & Rick Rack Swap. The return address said it was from May Britt. I couldn't tear into it fast enough. I love everything she sent, especially the little bag with stitchery. I promptly packed that for the trip with my Dear Jane mug inside of it. In addition to the beautifully made pink and brown polka dot bag, May sent polka dot napkins, tissues, buttons, and ribbons. She also included two wonderful stitcheries for me to do, floss, rick rack and a lovely card. As I have mentioned before, May was the person who encouraged me to start my own blog so that makes this all extra special for me.

The Dear Jane Retreat in Indiana was just terrific, despite the weather. It was cooooold and windy the first couple of days, so we didn't go out. It helped that there were plenty of buying opportunities in the sewing room from fellow quilters. The entire line of the Dear Jane fabric was there on bolts. I had been waiting for the retreat to get some even though my top has been finished for some time now.

pair of gingerbread potholders
Connie and I worked on Gingerbread potholders and Disappearing Nine Patch quilts. Our tablemates were delightful, funny and productive. There was Sandy G. from Canada, Jane and her sister, Margaret, and Nancee and Ruth, all from Michigan. Edyta Sitar did a trunk show on Friday night that was just spectacular! How she gets so much done with young children and her busy schedule is mind boggling. Each quilt was just as gorgeous as the previous one. We were able to get our picture taken with her and our Broken Star quilts/tops. Left to right (Me), Connie, Jane, Edyta and Sandy. Sandy had finished her quilt and didn't realize that Edyta was going to be there. What luck!

Holding our broken star quilts in Shipshewana
Edyta Sitar with her version of the Dear Jane quilt
10th Year Anniversary Cake for Dear Jane Retreats

Edyta had her version of the Dear Jane quilt along with her other beauties.

This was the 10th year for holding retreats for the Dear Jane group in Shipshewana, so we celebrated with a delicious cake!

Since this is getting long, I'll save the rest for next time, which I promise won't be as far apart as my previous posts. I hope everyone in the US had a great holiday and is enjoying the last days of November.

15 comments:

May Britt said...

I am so happy you liked the things I sendt you.
I wish I could join a DJ reatreat some time. Hanne told me so much about it.

Lorraine said...

sounds like you had a lovely Thanksgiving holiday! This would be one holiday I would like to see introduced in Australia! It is always nice to stop sometimes and give thanks!....and the Dear Jane retreat sounds wonderful...!

Judy S. said...

That polkadot bag is really cute, Jeanne. I love the way she combined the fabrics and the stitching is wonderful. Lucky you!

Vickie E said...

Your retreat sounded fab! Love your polka dots and rick rack swap goodies...you lucky girl.

Julie said...

Lucky you! May Britt! And I see she treated you very well.

Stina Blomgren said...

Your gifts from May Britt is really something... and good luck on the retreat!!

LuAnn said...

Didn't we have fun in Shipshewana? It was nice to visit with you and Connie and have a "little" breakfast. :-) Only 138 days until we can go back and do it all over again. Your tote from May Britt is so cute. I'm glad I got to see it in person.

Unknown said...

May Britt is so talented. The cake is so beautifully decorated.

Kris said...

I like the idea of thanksgiving too. It's important to stop and contemplate our blessings I think. Sounds like thanksgiving was delicious too. And that you had fun on the retreat. And I love your gifts from May Britt (lucky duck!). Love the gingerbread pot holders too. So chritmassy!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love you little gingerbread potholders...they are adorable!
Sounds like a great retreat...so glad you had a fun (and productive)time!

Finn said...

Hi Jeanne, thanks for stopping by. And yes, of course, they are projects you finished aren't they? *VBS* Just give me the signal and I'll put you down for the count.
Part of the reason I was unwilling to list which UFOs I would be finishing is that I'm driven by whimsey and change my mind frequently. Often in the middle of a stream....LOL
Your DJ retreat sounds liks so much fun. I'm happy that you get to attend things like that. It's good for your soul. Hugs, Finn

Cathi said...

Your gifts from May Britt are fabulous!!
Those quils from the retreat look absolutely amazing.

Lurline said...

So lovely to have caught up with you again,Jeanne! Nice to see all is going well!
Hugs - Lurline!

Libby said...

What a fun retreat! I love the broken star show and tell photo. What great quilts *s*

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanne, I would love to have been able to go to the Dear Jane Retreat, for inspiration.I have made about 80 blocks now, but, have lost my mojo with it.Regards Lyn