Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Yardwork

Lilacs
Lilies of the valley
There hasn't been much quilting or any other stitching going on here the last few days. We've been working in the yard, digging dirt and pulling weeds. The flower areas need a lot of work - much more than just one or two days worth. Maybe I should say the weed areas need a few flowers. I've decided to tackle it the same way as my quilting projects, one section at a time. This ole body doesn't bounce back from the bending and pulling as quickly as it used to. No need to overdue, right? Our lilacs and lilies of the valley are about done blooming for the year, but other plants or bushes are ready to take their turn in the spotlight. Here are pictures of what is blooming in our yard (and our neighbors) during the final days of May. We have daisies, irises and snowball bushes.

Daisies

Purple iris flowers

white snowball bush


Sherry, our next door neighbor, loves to work outside and has many, many roses that she enjoys nurturing and growing. A few years ago, she planted a peony tree. Now, I've had peonies growing wherever I have lived since I was a young tot, but they were always bushes. The first year her tree sported one big, pink flower on top. Check it out now! The blooms are huge and so pretty. I had to take pictures.

Sherry's peony tree
Another view of Sherry's peony tree

11 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Those flowers are beautiful and of course I love the string quilt too!

Quilter Kathy said...

All your flower photos are beautiful but the lilacs and the lilies of the valley are my favorite!

QuiltNut Creations said...

beautiful flowers. i love peonies too, mine are almost open

Judy said...

Love the flower pictures! Isn't this a great time of year?! I picked/cut peonies and irises yesterday for an inside bouquet.

Libby said...

It's so fun to watch spring bloom all around the world . . . so many things that never grow here.

Nicole said...

What beautiful flower pictures! I could almost smell those lilacs! Wish we could grow peonies here in California.

Linda C said...

Gorgeous flowers! I love lilacs and my husband has been nursing along a Miss Kim variety for several years. Not supposed to grow here in AL, we were told, or not in this zone anyway.

I don't think I have seen a peony since we moved south either. Hope there are some in bloom when I go for a trip back soon.

Cher said...

love the garden photos! I too love to dig in the dirt and have more weeds in one section than I can count. I did the same-been tackling one part at a time...your flowers are wonderful.

Kari said...

It looks like you have been working super hard. The peonies look great. My peonies are not quite open yet. I can't wait to see and smell their fragrance.

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing pics of these gorgeous flowers! I haven't seen snowballs in ages!

Libby said...

Gorgeous - my yard is jealous *s*