Monday, August 6, 2007

My Birthday

Today's my birthday! Ta da da da dum! I can hear the music in my head. Hope you can, too. My kitchen table contains a pile of birthday cards from my family and friends and I've also received many online wishes and phone calls. Thank you everyone. Calico Cat asked for the recipe of the banana cake that Simone made for Mike and me. The recipe is one from my Great Aunt Emma who was a sister to my paternal grandmother. Aunt Emma lived with my grandparents for most of her life. My grandma loved to work outside on the farm and Aunt Emma took care of most of the household things including the cooking and baking. She had most of her recipes memorized, but in her later years, she did write down some of her favorites in a medium sized Collegiate notebook. Usually only the ingredients were listed so the oven temps and baking times were discovered by trial and error. Here is her banana cake:

Aunt Emma's Banana Cake

2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup soft shortening*
3/4 cup sour milk
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
2 large eggs


Cream the shortening with the sugar and then add the eggs. Mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda and add to the first mixture alternating with the milk. Add the mashed bananas and pour into a greased and floured 9 x 13" cake pan. Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool and frost with a cream cheese frosting.
If you like nuts, add about a 1/2 cup chopped walnuts to the batter.
*I usually use Crisco.

15 comments:

Yvonne said...

Happy Birthday Jeanne....I hope you had a wonderful day filled with many happy wishes!

Beertje Zonn said...

Hello Jeanne,

Happy Birthday!!!
Kind Regards from the Netherlands.

Sonnja

The Calico Cat said...

Happy Birthday again!
What is Sour milk? (Buttermilk? Sour cream?) Do you add a vinegar to regular milk (or is that only a substitute for buttermilk?)

Rose Johnston said...

Jeanne i hope u had a fantastic birthday!!! love the recipe, may have to try that very soon!!!

Laurie Ann said...

Happy birthday!

tami said...

Hey, it's MY birthday too. :c0
Happy Birthday to you. Hope you have a great day.

Meredith said...

Happy Birthday !

Granny said...

Happy Birthday (a day late!)

Libby said...

I'm a little late . . . but Happy, happy Birthday *s*

Kari said...

Have a great day. Have fun with the kids. Love you. happy birthday.

Sweet P said...

Happy Belated birthday!

Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with the grandchildren.

Patti said...

A late happy birthday to you Jeanne! I hope it was a wonderful day. Still trying to catch up with my blog reading.

Hanne said...

Belated Happy Birthday Jeanne!

Quilter Kathy said...

A late "Happy Birthday to you"!
Love the old photo of your Aunt Emma!

Carole said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a wonderful week of celebration!