Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Bonnie's mystery quilt

One hundred red and green rail fence blocks
I need another project like a hole in the head, but Bonnie Hunter from Quiltville is offering a free mystery titled Carolina Crossroads! Who could resist? Bonnie makes the most gorgeous scrap quilts and has always been generous sharing her patterns. She has set up a separate Yahoo list for people doing this mystery. Over 600 quilters subscribed in less than two days! The first step involved cutting 1 1/2" strips, sewing three of them together, and sub-cutting into 3 1/2" units. One hundred rail units are needed. I finished mine today. Actually, I cut, stitched, pressed and sub-cut all this afternoon. This step doesn't take much time. What did take forever was choosing the colors! After picking several combinations, I finally just had to select one group. So reds it is with green accents and light tans for the light. This picture isn't very good so I'll try to get a better one during the daylight hours tomorrow.

17 comments:

Yvonne said...

Looking good....I've been lurking for the time being. Maybe I'll start after the holidays. It's looking like a good fun group.

Kim said...

Great minds think alike- well kinda :) I have the same colors but red in the centers- I'm using whatever wows and creams have left- no tans in my stash and I even looked today when I was getting a molted blue for the quilt I'm working on's border. But I just finished mine and am going to hand quilt for a bit....

Mary Johnson said...

I'm watching the mystery progress but not participating. Once it's done, I'll decide whether or not to make a smaller version.

Pam said...

Looks great!! I was thinking of joining in -- because I really do need another top for my pile --LOL!!

Over 600 people already signed up on the Yahoo site - that is amazing!!

Have fun making the quilt - I will think about joining - it would be fun I think. But I'm not sure I have enough scraps - oww did I really say that - LOL!!

antique quilter said...

Oh Jeanne I love it with reds on the outside!
maybe I need to make 2 sets as well :)
thanks for visiting my blog
Kathie

The Calico Cat said...

Maybe it is becasue it is still pre-coffee time but I find it funny the way yours is the opposite of Forest Janes!

julieQ said...

Isn't it fun!!! I can't wait to everyone's quilts. Mine is red, white and blue!!

julieQ

ForestJane said...

Hiya!
I wonder if yours will look like the negative of mine? This is going to be interesting. :)

Karen (Misiz C) said...

Oooh. I like your twist....red on the outside, green in the center. I'm doing the opposite..like some of the other gals. I can't wait to see how your's progresses.

Susan said...

Red and green is always a winner. You were fast! 600! That's a lot of . . . fans. =)

Gina said...

I love your colours so far. I still haven't decided whether I want to do it or not. Perhaps I'll have a sort out of my scraps and then decide.

love and hugs xxx

Shelina said...

Jeanne, this looks great. I think it is wonderful that so many people are joining along on this mystery. With Bonnie's patterns, it is sure to look wonderful.

Meredith said...

way to go. I wish I had the time. I will watch how your quilt comes together.

Rose Marie said...

I don't know where the design is heading, but your colours look good. I'm staying away from it for now as I know I'm going to love Bonnie's design and just might want to make it bigger.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Looks like great fun!

Megan said...

love your colors! now I might actually have to join in too....looks like fun!

Solstitches said...

Those colours you chose are gorgeous - very festive looking.
What fun to be doing a mystery. I will live vicariously through you :)

Margaret