Sunday, December 30, 2007

Stash Busting Report & Wisconsin Snow

kit of fabrics and pattern for making a basket wallhainging in pinks and browns
First let me report another week of no fabric added to my stash. While visiting our DD and family in Wisconsin, Kari, Abby and I went to Royce's, the local quilt shop. Oh, it was so difficult not to pick up those rolls or FQs of repro fabrics that greeted me right inside the front door. Such temptations! Instead I chose a kit for a small basket quilt in pinks and browns that I would have loved to own and bought it as my 100th Blog Post Giveaway. The drawing will be tomorrow. My urge to buy the kit was satisfied, yet nothing will join my stash. I hope the new owner will love it as much as I do.

We celebrated Christmas with Kari, Craig, Abby and Ian in Wisconsin after Christmas. The trip there seemed to take forever as we encountered a few slowdowns in traffic. Kari had made lots of cookies to share with us. The house was all decorated for the holidays and I think Abby and Ian had grown since we saw them in November.

On Friday, the sky emptied more snow onto West Bend. I watched all day and the snow continued to fall. My grandchildren are Wisconsin born so they love the snow. Grandpa joined them outside to work on their fort. Someone needed to stay inside to take pictures from the doorway. Jim showed me how to play with the buttons on the camera and you can see the different looks I got of the outdoor shots. Luckily, the roads were clear and dry on our drive home. Once we reached the Illinois border, the snow amounts were noticably less than in Wisconsin.
Jim, Abby and Ian working on the fort in the backyard
snow view from Kari's back door
another view of the snow from Kari's backdoor

20 comments:

Granny said...

You have more will power than I have. If I was buying, I'd get something for ME! :)

Silverthimble said...

I can't believe all that snow! They look like they were having fun playing in it anyway. I am glad the drive home was uneventful--I am always stressed out when I drive in the snow!

Mary Johnson said...

Good for you Jeanne!

I also had another week without fabric purchase....hopefully I'll continue to hold out while using what I already have.

Mary Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathi said...

You are really determined on the stash busting! what a wonderful looking kit!

The pictures of the snow are wonderful. It always looks so nice when it's somewhere else! LOL

Kim said...

wow look at that snow- we need some like that soon :) just after Wed I need a break from them all underfoot since the Fri before Christmas. Happy New Years !!!

Norma said...

From sunny AZ, thanks for the snow pictures. It is nice to look at, but don't want to touch!

No stash busting for me, I can't find the sewing machine yet with the after Christmas mess. It is my goal for tomorrow!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

Those pictures are beautiful with the snow. Whoever took them did a great job. Love the little basket kit too. Pink and brown, can't go wrong.

Darlene said...

Way to go, Jeanne! I've been good, too - no buying for me.

Cheryl said...

Happy almost New Years to you! Love those snow shots..so vivid. Good for you on sticking to your stash!

Gail said...

Love the snow shots. I haven't seen snow very often since we moved to Georgia almost 20 yrs ago, and sometimes I miss the smell and feel of it, miss watching it come down from the warmth of the house. I miss that Norman Rockwell part of it, not the driving and trying to deal with it part. Your photos satisfy my longing...

Carolyn said...

The kit is beautiful...I've always wanted to make a basket quilt. I even have some block of the month patterns laying around for one. The snow shots are lovely...it's not in my backyard! I can enjoy it so much more. We're cold and will be rainy later...a snow day in late January would be nice though!

MARCIE said...

What a beautiful sight -- all that snow! Coming from Minnesota it is a very familiar sight. I confess it has been years since I have experienced it. So glad the roads were clear for your drive. Happy New Year!

Unknown said...

Terrific photo's Jeanne. Such will power on the no buy, I couldn't do it, love the basket kit. Happy NY

Patti said...

What an incredible sight! I'd give my eye teeth to see snow like that here. Happens once every 15-20 years LOL! Of course we can't handle it nearly so well because no one is used to driving in it, we don't have nearly enough snow plows for something like that, and there are way too many hills. So I guess it's just as well ours comes in the liquid variety.

Wishing you a happy, quilty new year!

~Bren~ said...

I am very near the Wisconsin Illinois border...15 minutes away...and we lost all our snow just after Christmas when the temps climbed...then we got blasted again. Still not near as much as Wisconsin!
Those pinks and browns would be perfect in the wallhanging to match my pink and brown bed quilt!!!

Andrea said...

Well done for not succumbing - you are a stronger woman than me. That kit looks wonderful. I am so jealous of your snow. No sign of any here in Wales yet. Best wishes for 2008 Jeanne.

Mama Spark said...

Hahaha, that snow is heading for ME (and maybe you if you get home in the next day or so) so you may have to revisit it!! You have more willpower than me! I went with my friend Char to a shop and bought what I needed to make a quilt for my sister. I have NOTHING in the old stash that would work for the pattern I wanted to do for her. Have a Happy New Year!

Libby said...

Great pictures . . . wish a little of that snow could come our way *s*

Unknown said...

That kit is beautiful. The kids look happy playing in the snow.