Sunday, December 2, 2007

Fantastic Friday Sew-In & Stash Reduction

classroom at The Quilted Cottage on Fantastic Friday night
Churn Dash pattern next to finished 3 1/2 inch churn dash quilt blocks
Another 'Fantastic Friday' night spent at The Quilted Cottage. Everyone gets their own six foot table on which to sew that includes an attached cup holder and waste basket. Our dinner was salad, loaded baked potato and banana cream pie for dessert. Every hour a name is drawn for a door prize. (Connie was a lucky winner) All that plus the social benefits of sewing with nineteen other quilters and the beautiful surroundings in which we sew for $10.00. Several guild members from Piecemakers were in attendance this time which was fun. Connie and I made more progress with our little 3 1/2 inch churn dash blocks and met a few new quilters. The churn dashes have been a retreat project only and were purchased as a kit in Paducah, KY. a couple of years ago. We are almost done with the needed 132 blocks. We're signed up for more FF and are on the waiting list for the next one which is a pajama Christmas party. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Quilt book and gift tag pattern
I didn't purchase any fabric, but couldn't resist this new book and pattern. My friend, Karen, had this book in Shipshewana and I liked the projects that it contained. The pattern for the tags will hopefully be used for Christmas this year, but no promises. This week I put thirteen yards of fabric into bags for donation. There's plenty more to go through this week. Thanks to Judy for the challenge.

My SSCS gift was packaged and mailed on November 28th. I hope it has safe travel and arrives soon for its recipient.

15 comments:

Granny said...

The Fantastic Fridays sound fantastic! Does the shop do those every Friday night? I hope you can get in for the Christmas Party. Thanks for a great report. Not purchasing fabric is a great thing and the book will help you use the fabric so you get an A+.

Susan said...

I love the sound of your Fantastic Fridays. Good food and good friends and time to stitch! How long do you have to work? I would imagine that this is very, very popular! I like the look of that book and will go look it up - drat! =)

Kim said...

books are a great purchase - I never saw this one though. I have a few on my wish list on scrap quilting , hopefully Santa will take the hint :)
I need to make a bunch of qsts for a quilt service meeting in Jan so that should bust some stash I hope. 96 blocks per quilt 6 1/2"
yippee!!
But what do we do when we're down to what we truely love??? Do we get a free pass for shopping??? I hope so- I'm going to Lancaster in a few weeks :D

Pam said...

That looks like great fun - and a cup holder, what a good idea.

What I need is one of those big tall ironing boards - boy they look fantastic!!

antique quilter said...

The tag pattern you bought is a wonderful idea , very creative. and we can use our stash!
Will have to look for that book , looks like a good one to help us make quilts from our stash.
Kathie

Lynette Anderson said...

Those churn dash blocks look gorgeous, its a good idea to have something like that for working on at retreats. I look forward to seeing the finished quilt.

Jan said...

What a wonderful time you had--sounds like so much fun! Your churn block blocks are so neat!

Desi said...

Whoa! 3 1/2" blocks? I am sooooo impressed. I thought mildly complicated 6 1/2" blocks were insane!

Your booklist is so readable. It's almost as if you've got my library card!

May Kristin said...

What a lovely friday you had! A perfect way to start the week-end! Love your blocks, they are gorgeous!

Darlene said...

I've been sewing with a group of local friends one Friday a month at a LQS for over four years - it's an outing I look forward to every month. Sewing, food and lots of laughs what else can you ask for. LOL

Love the mini churn dash blocks!

Unknown said...

I do envy you to be able to go to those fantastic Fridays...

Libby said...

Great little churn dashes . . . and banana pie *my favorite*

Kim said...

Your churn dashers are very very pretty and I like this blogger's follow along quilt making project. Sounds like fun. Brings folks together! :)

Vickie E said...

That sounds like an awesome friday night...I'd love to have that around here...

sewprimitive karen said...

Hi, Jeanne, getting caught up on blogs. You have been doing so beautifully on stash busting! And the snow photos are so pretty.