Thursday, October 15, 2009

Caught Up?

Well, at least with reading posts on my Bloglines. Phew! I didn't want to miss anything, but it sure took some time to read them all.

Here's the Disappearing Nine Patch top from my previous post. I want to have it quilted by next Wednesday for a challenge from my Comforts Quilts group.
Disappearing Nine Patch quilt made with sports themed fabrics

Link for Logo


Most of the quilts I have made are miniatures or wall quilts and are no longer mine. This wall hanging is one of my favorites, though, made for a challenge in Shipshewana, Indiana at the Dear Jane Retreat in 2000. Jane blocks were made 50% of their original size and placed inside houses to make a 4 1/2" block. In the book "Dear Jane" by Brenda Papadakis, she gives each block a name, letter and number. At the last minute I decided to add those as the house numbers on each block. My quilt won the challenge! The name of my quilt is Every Home Should Have a Jane.

Added: I should have mentioned it was an ugly fat quarter challenge. We each chose a
paper bag that someone else had brought. My little blocks are all made with one UGLY piece of fabric.




22 comments:

Judy S. said...

Love your 9 Patch and the House one is really cute also.!

Carol said...

Ooooh I love this version of Dear Jane. I might even attempt to make some so I can try doing the houses.

Paula, the quilter said...

This is fantastic!

SaraVictorious said...

That is such an awesome setting for Dear Jane blocks! Very fun!

SandyQuilts said...

Love love love you houses ... what a great idea.

Kimberly Tripp said...

very cute. My son would love the sports quilt! Love your idea for the houses, too, and congratulations on winning the challenge!

Cathi said...

What a great setting! So different and so striking!

Zonnah said...

Very cool! I know how small some of those pieces are to begin with.

Susan In Texas said...

OK, your "Every House Should have a Jane" quilt is the cutest house quilt I have EVER seen! What a cool idea, especially using the DJ numbers as "addresses". So clever! I'm not at all surprised you won the challenge.

All the best,
Susan
http://susanintexas.blogspot.com

Jocelyn said...

Very sweet houses!

Marika said...

Very nice the quilt !kind little house funny.

Libby said...

What a fun challenge . . . . I don't see any ugly there at all *s*

Kathy A. said...

Congratulations on your win! That is one stunning quilt and you deserve it!

Rhonda said...

Love the house quilt! What a great idea to set DJ blocks into houses!

Unknown said...

You did a great job with those "ugly" fabrics. It is great to use the numbers of the blocks as house numbers.

Brigitte said...

hi Jeanne,
love this quilt - the idea to use the Dear Jane "adress" is so cool!
greetings still from Poland: Brigitte

Sweet P said...

I love your House quilt. What a wonderful idea for a quilt.

bingo~bonnie said...

what an awesome way to feature Dear Jane blocks! I love it - and you are so creative to number the homes in accordance with the block numbers. ;)

Love it - I can see why yours won the challenge!!! Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Rose Marie said...

This is fabulous! I've seen something similar done in red/white fabrics as a raffle quilt .... love your version too!

Rene' said...

Great Dear Jane blocks. Never seen them used that way. Very creative. Thanks for sharing.

Piecefully Pam said...

Amazing! LOOK at your precision piecing and dedication to the Challenge. Glad you WON! Thanks for sharing your clever-ness! ; )

http://sewpam63.wordpress.com/

Kim said...

very clever use of the dj blocks