Friday, November 2, 2007

Another Lesson Learned

backwards Detroit Tigers fleece blanket
finished Detroit Tigers fleece blanket
My children heard me say, "Be sure to double check your work" more times than they would like to remember. Apparently, I wasn't practicing what I preach when I attempted to make a Detroit Tigers fleece blanket for a former teacher from my parochial school and his wife who are both very loyal fans of the Tigers.

Jim set up two additional tables in the kitchen and we put the extra leaves in the kitchen table in preparation for the project. He helped me lay out the two pieces of fleece and we made sure there were no bulges or ripples before cutting them to size. Next I carefully cut out five inch squares from each corner and cut five inch slits along the first side, tying the double knots before moving on to the next side. This process took awhile, but I was getting more excited as I knotted away.

Finally I finished and made arrangements to deliver it. A photo was needed so I snapped a couple of digital pictures. When I looked at the pictures, I noticed the Tigers were coming out of a backwards English D. In fact, all of the letters and words were backwards. Did I buy a second? What was wrong? The light bulb finally went on and I couldn't believe that after all of the careful planning and preparation, I had put the Tigers fleece wrong side up! I spent the rest of the afternoon and early evening untying and retying the fringe while the double check phrase kept revolving in my mind over and over. The blanket was delivered, they really liked it, and I have learned another lesson.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh dear Jeanne, how frustrating. I think I would have thrown a tantrum.....lol.... Good for you for not giving up on it......

Julia said...

I am not sure whether to laugh or cry for you. How awful!! I just hate it when I do something like that. Way to stick to it and finish it correctly. It looks great!!!!

Darlene said...

Definitely a frustrating moment but all is well now. LOL

Elaine Adair said...

Humbling, isn't it?

Good you found out before you gave it away.

zizzybob said...

The only thing worse than hearing your own words rolling around in your head, is when you hear you mother's words rolling around in your head.
How come she was always right?

Unknown said...

Oh my, you must be patient, I would have quit.

Yvonne said...

Oh no Jeanne.....sounds like something I would do...lol

Kim said...

ok sorry Jeanne I did laugh - does it ease your pain to know I've done the same thing?? There now you can laugh at me *VBG*
But it looks great- I'm sure it will be well loved....

Mary Johnson said...

It's amazing what mistakes a photo will help you find! Glad you were able to fix it even if it was a pain.

Barb said...

I always tell DGD (my quilting buddy) that when quilting there are "no mistakes, you can always make it work"...well you have shown me that this is true ;>)! A mistake happened, but YOU MADE IT WORK...(with lots of patience and lots of work)!! Good job correcting your whoops and not just giving up!! Neat gifts for your friends!

Tanya said...

I love your blanket! My sister in law made one for me last year and it is so warm and comfy! Then this summer I made one for MY mother in law. My fingers were getting tired! I would hate to have to untie all those knots!

Pam said...

Oh no!! What a lot of work that was! It looks really good now though - that will be one lesson well remembered - LOL

Solstitches said...

Oh dear - haven't we all done something like that?
I'm glad it was something you could put right and I'm sure your friends were thrilled to have the blanket.

Margaret

Gina said...

thank you so much for posting this. I read it yesterday and in the evening we were taking part in a sports quiz. One of the questions was where do the Tigers play Baseball and I was the only one who got it right. ( we're not big on baseball in th UK)
love and hugs xxx

QuiltNut Creations said...

oh no! i've done that too-it is so frustrating!!

Libby said...

*argh* That's a lot of work to go through . . . but a situation you will laugh over - someday *s*

Tracey in CT said...

At least you noticed it before you gave it away!!!

I was sooooo close to making the same mistake with the Red Sox fleece blanket I made last year...its very easy to do, but at least it all worked out okay for you!!

swooze said...

Grumble, grumble.... I had to rip-it last night. Sewed a section upside down to the rest of the quilt. Oh well! At least you caught it!

Hanne said...

Ouch - how good you could correct the mirror image fleece.
Camera has saved me more than once too !

doni said...

I VERY CAREFULLY cut two left fronts for a vest out of the last known piece of a great preprinted fabric!!! Couldn't fix it - made a sewing envelope tote out of it so I'd always remember that lesson!

It happens to all of us!

Susan Freebery said...

Oh, Jeanne, I am so sorry to have laughed so at your little speed bump! I, too, have been there many times! Oh, how wonderful of you to have untied it and then did it correctly! Waste not, want not!

The Calico Cat said...

I am making an Orioles version for a friend... I'll have to keep this in mind...