Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Quilt Show & Other Stuff

church pews with quilts over the backs
another view of the church pews and quilts
My sister, Connie and I took a road trip up north last Saturday to a quilt show in Harrisville. With the sun shining most of the day, the trees displayed a marvelous mix of color with their golds, reds and greens. The show was to benefit the local library and was held in seven locations around town. Five of them were churches where wonderful quilts decorated the pews in addition to other areas. One church served a delicious homemade soups and breads luncheon, while another church served cider and sweet breads. You can can a feel for the show in these two pictures that Connie took. We heard the attendance was very good at all locations.

There's a wonderful tutorial for a fast and easy charity quilt on Nancy's blog.

I Love Quilting cross stitch project in a hoop
I've been working on a little cross stitch and cutting some squares for charity quilts. The outer borders to the wedding quilt are still waiting to be stitched to the center squares and I'm always sorting my sewing area/s. Jim says I'm spreading my things into the kitchen now. (Only in an emergency)

That sweet Kim at Kim's Cozy Quilts sent me another fun mail package today. I think she said her DH thought I should have this. Well, of course, I was thrilled when I opened it. Kim wrapped the bottle of Detroit Tigers Hot Sauce in another color of her beautiful hand dyed fabric. Perhaps if the Tigers had used this sauce during the final two weeks of the season, I'd be watching them tonight in game one of the World Series.
Detroit Tigers Hot Sauce bottle


Thought for the day: "Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." - Mark Twain

21 comments:

Solstitches said...

Wow Jeanne! What a day out that must have been. Those quilts look so lovely in the church with the beautiful arched stained glass windows.
Your little cross stitch piece is cute and perfect for a quilter/stitcher :)

Margaret

Anonymous said...

My Goodness, I've never seen so many quilts together, in my life ! Beautiful... wish I had been there with you !

Love your coment about Tigers sauce, AND your cute cross stitch, AND of course your saying !

THANKS Genie !

Hugs & smiles,
NADINE

Greenmare said...

Oh I love the quilts on the church pews, what a great idea! Glad you had such a wonderful day!!! the hot sauce gift is cool, and I love the little cross stitch, what are you going to make with it?

~Bren~ said...

The quilts are gorgeous and so beautifully displayed.
I love your cross stitch!!

Yvonne said...

The quilts are gorgeous....that must have been so much fun! Your hand dye is beautiful...what a sweetie! I like your cross stitch project. :)

Jan said...

Your little cross stitch is so neat! What a beautiful quilt show--thanks for sharing!

Kristie said...

Hello, my name is Kristie and I am a quilter from Kentucky. I ran on to your blog and have been reading over your post. You are a very talented quilter. I love your work

Come visit me sometime at....www.quiltingcowgirl.blogspot.com
Kristie

Quilter Kathy said...

What a great idea for a fundraiser! I really like how the sun shines in the church windows onto the quilts...very pretty!

swooze said...

The quilts are wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Mel said...

How clever. That is a beautiful way to display quilts. I would have loved to see them in person...

Libby said...

What a great way to display quilts for a show . . . just makes me smile.

Unknown said...

You deserve the fun mail, you are such a nice lady.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. I think quilts in churches always look great. But so many at a time is a rare sight.
Your cross-stitching looks very sweet. Take care.

Finn said...

hi Jeanne, you know that essence of quilting making just comes shining out of all those quilts draped on the pews *VBS* My first thought was "oh, it's sad they couldn't hang them", but as I looked at them, it didn't seem to matter that much. Thanks for sharing your outing!
I love the cross stitch, it's a really neat piece. And I'm sure you'll be back at the machine when the mood strikes you *VBS* Big hugs for autumn in the midwest, Finn

Susan said...

This sounds like a lovely way to see quilts and meet friends!

Rose Johnston said...

Ur xstitch is adorable!!! Wow so many beautiful quilts in such a gorgeous setting!!! Which one to admire first???

YankeeQuilter said...

The photos of the quilts over the pews are beautiful. Looks like a wonderful show.

Sorry about your Tigers.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Such pretty churches and a truly wonderful cause. I love our local library. Thanks for sharing.

Pam said...

That is a really unique way to have a quilt show. Was it put on by a local quilt guild? So the quilts were in 7 different locations in the town? And the quilts on the pews in the churches were really a nice idea and such a unique way to display the quilts.

Love the hot sauce - now what about the Red Wings??

Paula, the quilter said...

I love the way the quilts are displayed in this show. Makes me wish some of our quilt shows displayed them this way.

bingo~bonnie said...

wow, how pretty the quilts look draped over the pews!!! ~Bonnie