Monday, October 1, 2007

Week-end in Chicago

Chicago view with Sear Tower
Downtown Chicago, Clock tower and Wrigley Building
It turned out that the ballgame wasn't going to matter in the standings like we had hoped, but ten family members headed to Chicago to watch our beloved Detroit Tigers play the Chicago White Sox at US Cellular Field. We didn't even win the game, but we had a wonderful time. There are always lots of Tiger fans at away games. It's fun to pass each other on the sidewalks and share a 'Go Tigers' with them. After the game we made our way to Billy Goat Tavern where we enjoyed a few drinks and the famous cheesborgers. The weather was simply beautiful - couldn't have asked for better weather. Time was limited to do other things, but four of us did take a tour around town to see what was new. Millennium Park wasn't there the last time I visited. Chicago is one of my favorite places and I look forward to the next trip.

Celluar Field tron with Tigers and Sox on it
Sign outside Billy Goat Tavern, Butt in Anytime










We stopped in St. Joseph on the drive Friday so my sister could see the lighthouse there. It was a long walk out to the lighthouse where we discovered that beyond the first one was a second lighthouse. The concrete breakwater wasn't there years ago, so the watchman had to navigate the ladder-like structure over the water to get to the lighthouse. I can't imagine!
breakwater leading to the lighthouse
lighthouse
second lighthouse

6 comments:

~Bren~ said...

I enjoy Chicago too. Home of the Cubs!! I always go to Navy Pier. My sister was married at the top of the Hancock Building during an air show. It was hard to watch the wedding instead of the show!!

Kim said...

Hubby and DS want to go to see the Cubbies !! maybe next summer- as long as it's not the same time I'm taking the family to Baltimore to see the O's
Glad you had a great time - sorry about the Tigers :(
But send me your snail mail address off list I got something for you at the hall of fame last week :)

sewkalico said...

Sounds like a great time and place. Cheeseborgers and cheeps sounds good too LOL

Unknown said...

There is something special about lighthouses. I can see you had good weather.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend, Genie !
And these lighthouse pictures are sooo beautiful !

Hugs & smiles,
NADINE

ps : I think you'll be able to comment on my blog, it seems to work now (cross my fingers !)

Mary Johnson said...

Chicago has been on list of cities to visit for a while but it hasn't worked out yet. Hopefully, now that we're so close I'll get there soon.