Friday, October 19, 2007

Wednesday evening was guild night with our speaker being Cathy Kappius from northern Michigan. She brought three large suitcases full of quilts (which is always nice). You can see pictures of Cathy and the quilts she brought at our guild website. Cathy talked about color and being adventurous with our fabric choices for quilts. She believes there are no ugly fabrics, they just need to pair up with the correct fabric. The best tip I heard from Cathy was about magazine pages. She saves pages from any magazine that evokes a certain feeling in her or has unusual color combinations. These pages later inspire her when she is deciding on fabrics and colors.

While you're at our website, please take a look at the gorgeous raffle quilt for next spring. Isn't is a beauty?

three pillowcases made from WMU fabric
I made three Western Michigan University pillowcases this week for my son, JJ and two of his friends. Pillowcases are a great way to use that special fabric you have to buy, but then don't know what to make with it. This fabric has the Bronco, WMU seal and the word Broncos on it.

14 comments:

Kim said...

cute pillow cases!
Oh Jo Morton is coming to your guild too!!! We had her last year and she was wonderful!!!! I bought her pattern but was unable to take the class...are you taking her workshop??
Package should get there Monday it was sent priority yesterday -lol

Gina said...

I keep notebooks with special photos in. I also buy greetings cards and post cards that I like for inspiration. Sometimes when i have a few minutes i just sit down and look through them.
love and hugs xxx

~Bren~ said...

Pillowcases are a great gift idea!! Yours turned out wonderful.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link to your guild, I have spent the whole morning looking at the pictures, and wow, how many talented lady are there? There are so many beautiful quilts, so many that you wish you had the time and talent to do.

Joanne said...

What a great idea - making pillowcases -- bet the kids love them.

Brigitte said...

hi Jeanne, thank you so much for the LINK to your Guilt. So much fun to see pics from your Retreats, especially the Halloween - boy, are we boring .... I'm just packing for our Retreat next weekend, visiting my DD and my best friend. Greetings from your DJ friend Brigitte (Shipshea November 2oo5)

Pat said...

Love the pillow cases. The quilts from your quild are beautiful. So much talent.

Mama Spark said...

OMG!! I *need* tickets for your raffle quilt. How can I get some?? Feathered Star is my all time favorite quilt pattern but I have not been brave enough to make my own. I actually saw that pattern and thought about making it. Maybe I will go back and buy the pattern. Who did the quilting? It is amazing!!

corry said...

Thanks for the link! I saw the most beautiful quilts from your quild. The raffle quilt is a beauty too!

Greenmare said...

Don't you just get so inspired by good speakers? It's always hard for me to come home and go to bed! Great pillowcases, I love making those, they are nearly instant gratification.

Whimsy Pink said...

The raffle quilt is gorgeous!

Solstitches said...

Those pillow cases turned out so nice and oh, the raffle quilt is just gorgeous.

Libby said...

I think the best guild presentations come from suitcases FILLED with quilts *s*

Drucilla's Stitches said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog!
I LOVE your blog, there is so much I will have to come back. How do you get so much accomplished?
OK, I need some advice on purchasing material. I seem to get overwhelmed and don't know what to buy or how much!! I started this blog in order to tackle some UFO's but I still love purchasing material. What advice would you give a beginner?
Thanks again!