Thursday, April 19, 2007

Little Women Quilt


Our Little Women quilt is finished and has been turned in at guild. It was difficult to part with this one, but we hope it will bring a good price at the auction. Pictured from left to right are my sewing buddies, Jane, Connie, me, and Mary.

We drew names to see who would stitch each girl and planned the layout as we went along. The girl block was adapted from The Civil War Diary Quilt by Rosemary Youngs. The quilt was hand appliqued, machine embroidered, machine quilted and embellished. Meg is holding her sewing basket and has a dimensional bow on her bodice and beads on her boots. Jo is holding a Little Women book, has a gold, heart necklace around her neck, beads on her boots, embroidery on her sleeves and lace under her skirt. Beth has beads on her shoes, dimensional collar and cuffs, lace pantaloons and is holding a little kitten. Amy has two rows of lace on her skirt, gold knots for buttons on her bodice, beads on her boots, and is holding a black, fringed purse with gold link chain,

The ribbon at the top proved to be the most difficult challenge, but Connie was able, after a few attempts, to successfully embroider Little Women on it.

So now I am free of deadlines for a bit. I can concentrate on what to take to Paducah and straighten this house before I leave.

10 comments:

Darlene said...

It's beautiful. Enjoy Paducah and shop for me, too. :-)

meggie said...

What a beautiful quilt! I loved the book & love that quilt.
I am here to visit from May Britt, & have enjoyed my visit, very much.
I loved your photo of the daffodils, & the crocuses.
Your grandchildren are also beautiful children. They are so precious arent they!

KC Quilter said...

Ohmigosh, your Little Women quilt is wonderful. Y'all did a fantastic job on it!!! Have a great time in Paducah. I went a couple of years ago and loved it.

Quilter Kathy said...

It turned out so nice Jeanne! You all must be so happy. Hope it goes to a good home! (I like the quilt in the background too!)

Helen in the UK said...

What a fun project to share and it has turned out beautifully :)

MARCIE said...

Your Little Women quilt is a treasure!I am sure it is difficult to part with. Nice adaptation from the CWD book.

Vicki Suan said...

Beautiful, beautiful quilt! And I love the "Bloom" one too. I've always wanted to do Sunbonnet Sue. I will check out the Civil War book at Amazon. Oh, and yes, Jeanne, I'm addicted to 5" charms.

Quilting Kim said...

Your quilt is just beautiful. I love the curved border - great choice. Have fun in Paducah.

Libby said...

What a terrific quilt - I love how you all worked together to make it work . . . just like the Little Women *s*

Kathy said...

I love your quilt! Thanks for sharing! I hope you are having a great time in Paducah.